Call for Topics: Title and Development Issues in the Utica Shale
The EMLF will sponsor a two-day program "Title and Development Issues in the Utica Shale" on April 15-16, 2013, at the Hilton Columbus at Easton, 3900 Chagrin Drive, Columbus, Ohio.
We want your input to make this the best possible program for your needs. EMLF members are encouraged to submit issues they are dealing with and would like to see addressed at this program. Please send suggestions along with the names of any prospective speakers to Sharon Daniels, Executive Director, via email to email@example.com by December 10. Gregory D. Russell, Vorys Sater Seymour and Pease, Columbus, has been appointed to serve as Program Chair.
Applause for EMLF Volunteers: Careers in Energy Law Programs a Big Success
Last week the fall series of programs for students at EMLF member law schools concluded, with presentations at Washington & Lee University and Penn State University on November 12. At the Careers programs, EMLF members give panel presentations, discussing their particular practice area and how they happened to become energy and mineral lawyers. Pizza is served, and it's an informal opportunity for students to listen and ask questions about what they can expect if they choose this area of the law. We estimate over 250 law students attended the six programs.
Natalie Jefferis (EQT) shared this email from Trisha Longenette, a student at Duquesne:
"Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to talk to me and other Duquesne Law Students at the Careers in Energy Law Panel this past Tuesday. We all found the advice and information given during the panel discussion to be very engaging and it was exciting to be able to listen to a very knowledgeable, fun, and friendly group of people. For me personally it was refreshing to hear how no one planned their paths but yet ended up in a rewarding career. Although I have worked a number of years in the Title side of the industry, I have a strong desire to learn more about other areas and listening to each of the panelists' stories impacted me in ways I could never explain. . . . "
Many speakers were returning to their alma maters for these presentations, making an extra special connection with the students. A big thank you to the following EMLF volunteers who made these programs a success:
- West Virginia University, October 8, David Morrison, Moderator, Steptoe & Johnson, Bridgeport, WV; Andrea McCardle, Jackson Kelly, Morgantown; Cordell Pierce, EQT Midstream, Pittsburgh; Tim Miller, Robinson & McElwee, Charleston; and Tom Rubenstein, Dinsmore & Shohl, Morgantown.
- Appalachian School of Law, October 15, Frank Harrington, Moderator, Alpha Natural Resources, Bristol, TN; Professor Buzz Belleville, ASL; Jill Morgan Harrison, Alpha Coal Sales, Bristol, TN; Dan Kostrub, Steptoe & Johnson, Wheeling, WV; and Jonathan C. York, Abell & Associates, Kingsport, TN.
- Duquesne University, October 16, Natalie Jefferis, Moderator, EQT Mid-Stream, Pittsburgh; Brian Anderson, Chevron North America Exploration and Production Co., Moon Township, PA; Kevin Douglass, Babst Calland, Pittsburgh; and David Laurent, Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, Pittsburgh.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, November 1, Natalie Jefferis, Moderator, EQT Midstream, Pittsburgh; Britt Freund, Bowles Rice, Canonsburg, PA; Joseph Reinhart, Babst Calland, Pittsburgh; and Martha Weigand, CONSOL Energy, Canonsburg, PA.
- Washington & Lee University, November 12, Joel Symonds, Moderator, Charleston, WV; Professor Albert Carr, W&L; Mary Beth Naumann, Jackson Kelly, Lexington, KY; and Matthew Tyree, Jackson Kelly, Charleston.
- Penn State University, November 12, University Park Campus: David Morrison, Moderator, Steptoe & Johnson, Bridgeport, WV; Natalie Jefferis, EQT Midstream, Pittsburgh; and Robert Jochen, Reed Smith, Pittsburgh. Carlisle Campus: Maureen D. Carman, Moderator, Attorney, Versailles, KY; and Jeffrey W. Wagner, Pardee Resources Co., Philadelphia.
Upcoming programs - mark your calendars
- February 10-12, 2013 – Winter Workshops on Energy Law, Lago Mar Resort, Fort Lauderdale, FL. 1.800.LAGOMAR by January 9 for reservations.
- April 15-16, 2013 – Title and Development Issues in the Utica Shale, Hilton Columbus Easton, Columbus, OH.
- June 16-18, 2013 – EMLF 34th Annual Institute, Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel, Baltimore, MD.