Mine Safety & Health Law Special Institute – September 22, 2012
Register through September 8 and save $100 on the Mine Safety & Health Law Special Institute registration fee, co-sponsored by the EMLF and the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation.
Held the Saturday before MINExpo opens at the Las Vegas Convention Center, the Mine Safety Special Institute will be at the Wynn Las Vegas hotel and is chaired by Daniel W. Wolff, Crowell & Moring LLP. Registration fee includes all meeting materials on CD, continental breakfast and breaks, and hosted luncheon.
Topics include the case backlog at the Federal Mine Safety & Health Review Commission; criminal enforcement update; "flagrant" violations under the MINER Act; new regulations – from financial and SEC reporting obligations to a litany of safety and health standards; MSHA's authority to access documents and information from mine operators; discrimination under the Mine Act and a miner's right to temporary reinstatement; the burden of proof for "significant and substantial" violations; and MSHA's increased use of policy documents for enforcement purposes.
Speakers are drawn from industry, the private bar, the Office of the Solicitor of Labor, USDOL, and the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission.
The program is accredited for approximately 6.5 hours of Continuing Legal Education credit in 60-minute states and 7.9 CLE credits in states calculating 50 minutes for an hour of CLE credit. For current registration list, program brochure and online registration, go to the EMLF website.
EMLF Law School Programs – Careers in Energy Law
Each year EMLF volunteers spend some time at member law schools, encouraging students to consider a career in energy law by giving several brief presentations on their daily work and showing students the wide variety of practice areas that energy lawyers enjoy. Students also learn about the EMLF and student memberships, the availability of scholarships, and discounted and free registration at EMLF educational programs. If you would like to speak at one of these programs, just contact email@example.com
So far the following Energy Careers programs have been scheduled:
- October 8, 2012 – West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, WV
- October 15, 2012 – Appalachian School of Law, Grundy, VA
- October 16, 2012 – Duquesne University Law School, Pittsburgh, PA
- November 1, 2012 – University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, PA
- November 12, 2012 – Washington & Lee University School of Law, Lexington, VA
- November TBA – Penn State University, Dickinson School of Law, University Park, PA
EMLF Welcomes New Members
Bricker & Eckler LLP with offices in Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio:
- Matthew Warnock, 614-227-2388, fax: 614-227-2390, firstname.lastname@example.org, 100 South Third Street, Columbus, OH 43215
- Glenn S. Krassen, 216-523-5469; fax: 216-523-7071, email@example.com,1001 Lakeside Avenue East, Suite 1350, Cleveland, OH 44114
- Rob K. James, 216-523-5482; fax: 216-523-7071, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1001 Lakeside Avenue East, Suite 1350, Cleveland, OH 44114
Kentucky Mineral Law Conference – October 24-26, 2012
The annual fall program moves to a new location this fall – the Hyatt Regency in downtown Lexington.
Co-chairs are Erin E. Magee, Jackson Kelly PLLC, Charleston, WV and Joseph A. Tarantelli, Chesapeake Energy Corp., Oklahoma City, OK. For complete program brochure, hotel information, and online registration, go to the EMLF website.