Early Bird Registration for 32nd Annual Institute Ends April 15
Be sure you register this week so you can save $100 on the Annual Institute registration fee. Go to www.emlf.org to register online for the 32nd Annual Institute, May 15-17 at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, Farmington, PA.
Before you pay the general registration fee, check the online EMLF member directory and see if your firm or company is a member. If so, you will save another $150 on your registration fee.
Nemacolin Resort Extends Room Rate Through April 15
Though the Annual Institute print brochure shows an earlier cutoff date for the special room rates at Nemacolin Resort, you can still receive the discounted rate through April 15.
Go to www.emlf.org or call 800.422.2736 and ask for the very favorable EMLF group rate.
EMLF Law Student Scholarships – April 18 Deadline for Completed Applications
Law students are encouraged to make sure their scholarship applications are complete and all materials – including letters of recommendation – are submitted to the EMLF by Monday, April 18.
The application form and all scholarship information is on the EMLF website at www.emlf.org.
Kentucky Mineral Law Conference Re-scheduled for October 19-21, 2011
Mark your calendars for the annual Kentucky Mineral Law Conference at the Marriott Griffin Gate in Lexington for October 19-21. The date has changed by one week so that conference attendees can opt to attend a home football game at the University of Kentucky, as well as enjoy the fall racing meet at Keeneland while in Lexington.
The program will feature a full day of oil and gas topics on Wednesday, October 19, the general session topics on Thursday, and the coal topics on Friday morning, when registrants will be joined by members of the Kentucky Coal Association and the Appalachian Chapter of SME.
Abstracting Titles in the Appalachian Basin Draws Big Crowd
Driven by the Marcellus shale development, the sold-out programs on Basic Abstracting and Intermediate Title Issues drew 454 abstractors, attorneys and landmen to the EMLF's March 10-11programs in Southpointe, PA.
Speakers on Basic Abstracting, chaired by Arnie Schulberg, were Joyce Trew, EQT Producing, Pittsburgh; Tom Lane, Bowles Rice McDavid Graff & Love, Charleston, WV; Leslie Miller-Stover, Steptoe & Johnson, Charleston, WV; Joel E. Symonds, EQT Production, Charleston; James R. Witte, Glenville State College; Ryan T. Purpura, Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, Pittsburgh; Nathaniel Hunter, Spilman, Thomas & Battle, Pittsburgh; Jonathon Higie and Andrew Chumney, Peacock Keller & Ecker, Washington, PA; and Timothy Rounds, Jackson Kelly, Morgantown, WV.
The second program on Intermediate Title Issues was developed by Sean Cassidy of Cassidy & Associates, Greensburg, PA; Russell Schetroma, Steptoe & Johnson, Meadville, PA; and Tom Lane of Bowles Rice, all of whom spoke and appeared on a title curative panel joined by James Adams of The Sadler Law Firm, Houston and Michael J. Barron, EQT Producing, Washington, PA. Paul J. Atencio and Bruce F. Rudoy, of Tucker Arensberg in Pittsburgh covered judicial sales and probate and intestate succession, and Justin Rubenstein of Burleson Cooke in Canonsburg covered tax sales.
Based on more than 100 evaluations turned in after the course, there's still a need for more educational programs on these issues.
EMLF Welcomes New Members
Law Firm Sustaining Member:
- K & L Gates LLP, Harrisburg, PA (Timothy Weston, main contact)
Law Firm Supporting Member:
- Walter Energy, Inc., Birmingham, AL, Guy W. Hensley, Walter J. Scheller, III
- Kay Casto & Chaney PLLC, John D. Hoblitzel and John R. McGhee, Charleston, WV; Shannon P. Smith, Morgantown, WV
- Austin Brewer, University of Oklahoma College of Law
- Jeffrey Babcock, Seneca Resources Corporation, Williamsville, NY
- Terrence Shea Cook, Attorney at Law, Richlands, VA
- Tabitha D. Crotty, Harvey and Janutolo Law Offices, Morgantown, WV
- Thomas Goodwin, Boehl Stopher & Graves, LLP, Louisville, KY
- Dustin Hatherill, Geiger, Teeple, Smith and Hahn, L.L.P., Alliance, OH
- Melissa J. Hoehn, Attorney at Law, PLLC, Oklahoma City, OK
- Chad M. Kell, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, TX
- Patrick McCaffrey, Dickie McCamey & Chilcote, P.C., Columbus, OH
- Daniel Nabuda, Brighton Resources, Pittsburgh, PA
- Eric D. Owens, University of Pittsburgh College of Law, Pittsburgh, PA
- William Radler, University of Tulsa College of Law
- Carol Resnick, Sewickley, PA
- Brent Riggle, Mason Dixon Energy, Inc., New Concord, OH
- Susan D. Scott, Western Land Services, Canonsburg, PA
- George Shires, Hameline and Eccleston, LLP, Plano, TX
- Kathleen Stealey, Parkersburg, WV
- William G. Williams, Krugliak Wilkins Griffiths & Dougherty Co., LPA, Canton, OH
- Steven Wolfe, West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, WV