EMLF Webinar: Hot Topics in Ethics
Join us for a webinar on Jun 17, 2020 at 2:00 PM EDT.
FREE FOR EMLF MEMBERS
Enter Discount Code MEMBER at Registration.
About the Webinar:
This program will explore several current topics in legal ethics including competence in technology, dealing with inadvertently disclosed information, safeguarding information relating to clients, and multijurisdictional practice. It will review lawyers’ ethical duties in these areas and practical ways to comply with them, based on:
- The ABA Model Rules on Competence, Communication, Confidentiality of Information and Supervision,
- The ABA Model Rule on Respect for Rights of Third Parties and court rules on inadvertent disclosure,
- The ABA Model Rules on Unauthorized Practice of Law, Multijurisdictional Practice of Law and Disciplinary Authority, Choice of Law and state unauthorized practice laws,
- ABA Formal Opinion 477R, “Securing Communication of Protected Client Information” (May 2017),
- ABA Formal Opinion 483, “Lawyers’ Obligations After an Electronic Data Breach or Cyberattack” (October 2018), and
- Pennsylvania Formal Opinion 2020-300, “Ethical Obligations for Attorney Working Remotely (April 2020).
FREE for EMLF Members with Discount Code MEMBER
$50 for non-members
Approved for CLE credit: KY, MO, TN, TX, & WV
CLE credit pending: IL, IN, OH, OK, PA, & VA
About the Presenter:
David G. Ries is of counsel in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania office of Clark Hill PLC, where he practices in the areas of technology, data protection, and environmental law and litigation.His environmental practice for over 45 years has included a broad range of issues in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies, including CERCLA litigation, Clean Water Act litigation, solid and hazardous waste issues, safe drinking water issues, Clean Air Act litigation, storage tank litigation, wet weather issues and consent orders, court and administrative challenges to regulatory programs, and defense of enforcement actions. For over 25 years, he has increasingly focused on cybersecurity, privacy, and information governance. He is a Trustee and Past President of the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation and served two terms as a member and chair of a hearing committee for the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
View System Requirements